Wednesday, December 5, 2012

A Fairy Tale for Home and Family.



I suppose calling it Five Points was ironically accurate, myself and my young brother having witnessed as many stabbings in just our first month in New York. This was Paradise Square, which was anything but. You can blame it on the Irish, the irony not the crime, well not all of it. My brother and I would sit on the corner of Orange street and stare at the side of the mission building like we could see the sun rise and set through the patchwork wood walls and pitch, sooty smoke of coal and wood burning. Probably bodies burning too, but I didn't learn of that until much later, little Alex never got the chance. My mother, God rest her soul, passed on the ship bound for Ellis Island in the year of Our Lord 18-hundred and forty-four, just three days before we sailed into port. My father, a good Irish Cathol with a rolling Gaelic tenor that could soothe a banshee, hailed from Derry. He had made quite a name for himself with his storytelling, poems, and jokes. Back home he did, but here in New York there wasn't much time or patience for stories, less for poetry, and nothing to joke about, save for the death, murder, and disease, but it became too redundant to speak of and poor subject matter. So, my father, he drank. The boom of the industrial revolution had faded to a droning whine and the only jobs, past whoring, gambling, and stealing, were all held by those that had come over a decade or so before us. So, where there was no work, there was whiskey, and though the landlord would be banging down our door every week for rent and for days at a time there wouldn't be wood for the fire or fresh milk for me and my brother, me dad he always had the drink, and drink he did. Little Alex had taken to wearing our mother's nightcap to bed, he would raise such a din if he misplaced it the whole building would moan and bang the walls. He refused to sleep without it. Alex was... touched. In the head. He wouldn't speak much at all and when he did he would shiver as if freezing for a moment then clam up and sway back and forth. Dad called him “his poor little defective”, I never much liked Dad calling him that, but he would swear up a storm and beat me something fierce if I spoke out. I never really cared about getting beat, all the boys got beat, and not just by our Mums and Da; if ever two coins clinked together in your pocket you couldn't get ten paces without being pulled into an alley or knocked about the back of the head in the middle of the street. We fought, me and my boys, and we fought well; I suppose Dad helped with that. I never minded, but poor little Alex caught the worst of it when Dad had taken to the drink too hard. I always knew the nights it would happen. Dad would be up at all hours of the morning, weeping and singing Green Grow the Lilacs, our mother she loved lilacs when she was alive, was buried with a whole great bunch of them donated by some of the kinder folks in our building. And Dad would be singing and weeping and drinking the whole time until he finished the last verse and then he'd just sit silently for a while. He would never say a word, he'd just slowly creep into our room and snatch Little Alex up out of bed, tear the nightcap off his head and beat him fiercely. Tears and rage in his eyes, teeth gnashing like some beast, and fists aflight upon poor Little Alex. I tried to stop him a time or two until he broke my arm, then I just became too terrified to stand up and I'd lay in bed pretending to be asleep as Little Alex would scream, the sound of our father's fists on his back and head like thunderclaps. None of the other folks in the building even noticed, which wasn't too surprising since all you'd ever hear, day and night, was someone being beaten, a woman weeping, consumed in sorrow for a dead son, or daughter, or husband, the whore down the hall would have visitors at all hours making a racket, and the family beside us had eleven children, three cousins, and four big sheep dogs; quiet was a commodity no one had in excess, and so we minded our own business and they minded theirs. My boys had seen me so many times with a black eye or a split lip from me own Dad they came to call him the Giant, and my brother and I were prisoners in his house. I taught myself how to write and read a bit, there wasn't a school that'd have us, what with Little Alex being in his condition and me showing up all bruised and battered and both of us as destitute as they come. The Mission tried for a little while, but the money ran out and they had been robbed so many times the doors shut and chains were run up to keep everyone out. So after a particularly awful night and Little Alex just being left unconscious for well over an hour I took to leaving little notes for my father under his bottle. I would sneak up, quiet as a mouse, just a bit before dusk and take a bright blue paper from a notepad I'd swiped and in pencil write:

Your wife, though deceased, still watches from Heaven
Her ears being deafened by thund'rous blows to her sons
Though drink you must, and drink you may
Know your wife, she weeps, ever' night and all day
This is nay but a message, but a warning for you
When you again meet your wife, will your heart prove true?

I would leave this for him at least a few times a month, whenever he got a hold of Little Alex real bad. He'd rouse from his drunk and find it and go pale as a ghost. He thought it were the faeries warning him, or perhaps even Christ Almighty himself, but it only staved off his fury for a few days, then he'd crawl back into his bottle and Alex, poor Little Alex, would pay the price. And we went on, Dad being drunk and out of work, me and me boys fighting up and down and across Paradise Square being chased by coppers and crooks, and poor Little Alex, clinging to our Mum's nightcap, rocking back and forth in perfect silence on our bed. After the city ran a Neighborhood Reclamation project, nothing more than cops beating the brains out of any man, woman, or child unlucky enough to fall under their billy club out in the Square, what little change my father could scrape up from singing and joking and reciting his raunchy limericks and poems went away, and things got worse than I could have ever feared. A man in our building, a syphillitic little squirt, had taken to making his own shine and, half blind and out of his head, he would gift this to our Dad for running his wares about the building. A mere capful of the stuff could send the stoutest son of Ireland to bed upside down, but our Dad would drink it by the mugful, and repeat the process until he couldn't barely even lift the stuff to his lips. And so one night, staggering and smashing into the walls of our hovel, he barged in and brought Little Alex up by the neck of his nightshirt and beat him so bad he bled from both his ears. I didn't dare to move, though I wanted to scream and drive a knife into his heart, for fear that he'd kill me only little brother if I made a sound. Dad passed out at the foot of our bed in a puddle of Alex's blood and his own drool and vomit, snoring as I cradled my poor little brother in me arms, rocking him back and forth until he finally stopped crying and fell asleep. Another night of this was more than I could stand and I knew my father had at least three more jars of this Devil Water in the cupboard out of my reach. The next day I ran about with me boys for a bit, I stopped and chatted with our neighbors and pet the great big sheep dogs, I swiped a bit of seashell from a stall in the Square and gave it to the bright-eyed lass whose family just moved into the tenement the week before and when I came home I put Little Alex to bed while Dad sat at the table, mug in his quivering fist, staring at the wall. I put Little Alex to bed on my side and, when he was sound asleep, carefully slipped our Mother's nightcap from off his head and put it on my own. I pulled the blanket up and tried to cram myself all together, to look small, small like poor Little Alex. It weren't an hour later that our door came crashing open, nearly pulling from the rusted hinges, and our Dad, God Rest His Soul, took me up by the collar of me nightshirt and beat me something fierce. My body bounced and rocked, held fast in his clenched, white-knuckled fist, until he landed the last blow and I went limp, my fingers uncurling and, crumpled up in my palm, the last note I ever wrote to me Father, me poor, poor Father fell to the floor. I kept this one short, there wasn't much more for me to write or say anyhow, it was just one stanza:

Though drink you must, and drink you may
Know your wife, and your only son, they weep, ever' night and all day

No comments:

Post a Comment